MISSED DAYS ADD UP QUICKLY!
- Just a few missed days a month add up
- Kindergarten and first grade are CRITICAL for your child
- Missing school during these early years makes it more difficult for children to learn in later years and children often have trouble reading by the end of third grade
WORK WITH YOUR CHILD AND YOUR SCHOOL
- As the parent, be strong and don’t let your child stay home when it is not necessary. This will help your child succeed.
- If your child has a chronic disease, make sure the school staff is aware so they can assist your child if he or she becomes ill.
- Make appointments with the doctor or dentist in the late afternoon, days off, during breaks or in the summer so your child misses as little school as possible
- If your child must miss school, make sure you get his or her homework assignments and follow up to see if the work is completed and turned in
- Call the school as soon as you know your child will be absent and tell school staff why your child will be out and for how long
- Be prepared to get a doctor’s note when requested by school personnel.